Building & Inspections
The City of Wharton adopted codes are as follows:
- 2018 International Building Code with amendments
- 2018 International Residential Code with amendments
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code with amendments
- 2018 International Plumbing Code with amendments
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code with amendments
- 2018 International Mechanical Code with amendments
- 2018 International Fire Code with amendments
- 2018 International Energy Code with amendments
- 2018 International Swimming Pool & Spa Code
- 2020 National Electrical Code with amendments
Deed restrictions are not enforce by the city. If the deed was filed check with Wharton County Clerk's Office for a copy of the deed restrictions and any rules or regulations that are enforced in your area.
Zoning in Wharton
City of Wharton does not regulate zoning.
Contractors doing work in the City of Wharton are required to register with the Code Enforcement Department (Registration Form). The following information is required to register:
- Certificate of Insurance stating the City of Wharton as a Certificate Holder
- Copy of State Master's License or other required state license (if applicable)
- Copy of the Driver's License of the owner of the Company registering.
- Copy of employee state license (i.e. journeymen, apprentice, etc.)
- Letter of authorization from State Master's License holder allowing employee/staff to obtain permits on behalf of the company registering.
Most construction requires a Building Permit, however, cosmetic changes and non-structural repairs may not require one. If in doubt, please contact the City of Wharton Code Enforcement Department if there are any questions concerning the information listed.
All Permits MUST be prominently posted at site for the entire duration of the project.
Please Note: Work requiring permits cannot start until the permit is issued by the Code Enforcement Department. Permit applications must be reviewed and approved by the department staff and all fees are calculated at that time. We accept MasterCard, Visa, and Checks payable to City of Wharton as payments for building permits (in person only, phone, and online payments are not available).