9. When is a Solicitors Permit required?
A solicitors permit is required when any person goes from house to house or place to place or by telephone in the City of Wharton soliciting, selling or taking orders for or offering to sell or take orders for any goods, wares, merchandise, services, photographs, newspapers, magazines or subscriptions to newspapers or magazines.
10. What are the procedures for obtaining a Solicitors Permit?
Complete a Solicitors Permit Application form, which can be obtained from City Hall. A copy of the driver’s license must be submitted with the application. A background check will be conducted by the Wharton Police Department, which will take approximately 30 minutes per application. The Police Chief will approve or deny the application.
If the application is approved, the applicant shall obtain a $1,000 Bond and submit the original to the City of Wharton.
The fee for the Solicitors Permit is:
$55.00 for the first person
$20.00 for each additional person
The City Staff will issue the Registration Card for one year from date of issuance. Agricultural products, which shall not include meat, poultry, fish, shrimp or a similar products, the solicitor permit is: $25.00 - 60 days from date of issuance
11. Is an Animal License Required?
Yes, when any person owning, harboring or having custody of any animal over four months of age within the City limits, must obtain a license.This will not apply to the keeping of small caged birds or aquatic and amphibian animals solely as pets.
12. What is the process for obtaining the License?
- A written application for a license shall be completed at City Hall. The rabies certification must accompany the application.
- Licenses for the keeping of dogs and cats shall remain in effect for a period of one year, unless revoked before the expiration of this period.
- An application for a license must be made within 30 days after obtaining a dog or cat over four months of age, except that this subsection will not apply to a nonresident keeping a dog or cat within the city for a period of time not to exceed 60 days.
- Upon acceptance of the license application and fee, the city shall issue a durable tag.
13. Must the license be worn?
Dogs and cats must wear identification tags or collars at all times when off the premises of the owners.
14. Is a duplicate license available?
An applicant may obtain a duplicate license upon payment of a replacement fee of $2.00.
15. How much notice is required for inspections?
24 hour notice, unless extreme circumstances.
16. Do existing structures have to be inspected prior to new occupancy?
Yes, a Fire Inspection is required.
17. What do you need a building permit for?
Any structural construction project.
18. What information is needed in order to obtain a building permit?
Complete drawing of the project, including the electrical plan and setback requirements.
19. Is a permit required for a fence?
No, unless the fence is greater than four (4) feet in height; however, location of property line must be established to avoid encroachment of neighboring property.
20. What are the setback requirements for City of Wharton?
Setbacks are a case-by-case situation; it is best to contact the Planning Department for requirements.
21. Is a permit required for a portable building?
Yes and setback requirements apply according to the size of the building.
22. How do I get a permit to place a mobile home on my lot?
You cannot place a mobile home on a private lot unless replacing an existing mobile home homestead.
23. Is a permit needed to move a structure?
24. Will construction debris be picked up at the curb on the regular collection day?
No. Construction debris placed at the curb will not be picked up on a regular collection day. However, it should be picked up on the bulky waste day. The customer will be charged for the disposal of construction debris placed at the curb.
25. What Flood Zone is my property in?
A flood map is provided in the Code Enforcement Department and the Planning Department for review.
26. What constitutes a "weedy lot" violation?
The height of weeds/grass shall not by greater than 10 inches.
27. Is your office closed for the noon hour?
No. The City Hall offices is open from Monday-Friday, 8-5, except City Holidays.
28. Does your City have Zoning?
29. Can I do my own electrical and/or plumbing work at my residence?
Yes, with proof of a homestead exemption and issuance of permit.