Solicitor's Permit Information
It is unlawful for any peddler or solicitor to engage in business within the city without first obtaining a permit from Code Enforcement Department.
Solicitor, peddler, itinerant merchant or itinerant vendor means any person engaged in going from house to house or from place to place or by telephone in the city soliciting, selling, or taking orders for or offering to sell or take orders for any goods, wares, merchandise, services, photographs, newspapers, magazines or subscriptions to newspapers or magazines. Any person desiring to participate in these activities shall register with the city for a solicitation permit.
Permit Application Process:
- Step One: Each individual must complete a Solicitor's Permit Application and Computerized Criminal History (CCH);
- Step Two: Each individual must submit a copy of the following information:
*Driver's License OR US Passport
- Step Three: Print, sign, and send the completed permit application & identification to Code Enforcement Department or via email to Claudia Velasquez
- Step Four: Individual or owner of the business must obtain Surety Bond in penal sum of no less than $5,000, signed by the applicant as principal and signed, as surety, by some surety bond company authorized to do business in the state of Texas will be needed. *Applicant will be informed to obtain Surety Bond once background check has been completed.
- Step Five: Payment received in person. (Cash, Checks, Credit Cards-Visa/MasterCard)
Quick Reference: Application required. Cost for Permit is $55 (1st applicant) $20 for (additional applicants) for a one year permit.
Solicitor's Permit Ordinances
Solicitor's Permit- FAQ
Safety & Complaints
Exemptions: (Ordinance Section 42-180)
The registration required in this division shall not apply to:
- Sales made to dealers by commercial travelers or sales agents in the usual course of business or to sales made under authority and by order or law; or
- Sales or exhibits at fairs, conventions or events sponsored by one or more City civic organizations, school, church or the Chamber of Commerce; or
- Charitable solicitations; or
- Insurance or Alarm companies carrying a current Texas State license; or
- Person who permanently reside in or within ten (10) miles of the city will be exempt from background checks and fees.
However will be required to register with the Code Enforcement Department and carry a registration photo identification card.